Jun 13, 2012

Cauliflower Ranch Mash

Luke and I don't eat a whole lot of processed carbohydrates these days, so I've had to get creative with my veggies. This is a cauliflower recipe that I've modified from my friend Chelsea. I had never really liked cauliflower. Then again, the only time it's really ever served is on a veggie platter from the supermarket, raw. If you want to get crazy, then throw in a cooked potato to make it more like mashed potatoes. I haven't posted recipes on  the blog because I'm not a fan of mastering recipes of my own, but this is a good one that I've been asked to share. Here it is:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup cream cheese
pinch or two of salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon packaged ranch dressing mix
1 head cauliflower
These measurements are estimates, use more or less of anything according to the size of cauliflower and your personal taste.

Start a pot of water to boil. Don't question the boiling.
Seriously, if it'll make cauliflower really freakin' good, just do it.

Cut cauliflower into florets, removing the core.
Try and keep them the same size so they'll all cook in the same amount of time.

When water comes to a boil, add the cauliflower and boil for 5-10 minutes. You should be able to easily pierce and remove a sharp knife from one of the florets.

Drain water out and return cauliflower to the warm pot. This will facilitate the melting of the next few ingredients.

Add 2 tablespoons butter.

1/4 cup (big spoonful) cream cheese.

1 tablespoon ranch dressing mix. I like to sprinkle it over everything.
Salt to taste.

If you have other items still cooking then throw the lid back on and let the butter and cheese melt a little.
Otherwise continue to next step.

Mash....

...the heck out of it, stirring occasionally.

Mmm, mashed cauliflower. Taste it now to see if you need to add more of anything.

This batch was especially creamy and good, with a little crunch and  just the right amount of ranch flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment