Sep 3, 2012

Recipe: Chacha's Chicken Sofrito

Chacha's Chicken Sofrito

A Facebook friend, who I knew briefly in 7-8th grade, made a status update that spoke of a delicious Dominican dish, Sofrito. In the comments someone asked for the recipe and she gave a brief description of how her friend Chacha taught her how to make Sofrito in a small New York kitchen years ago. It sounded delish. I Googled "sofrito" and was presented with many different recipes, however, my FB friend's sounded the best.

As it turns out, Chacha has a new website, Chacha's Kitchen, but this recipe isn't on it yet. I'm reposting (my interpretation) here for you, for me, and because both Chelsea and Sarah wanted the recipe. I doubled the recipe and had lots of leftovers, which were even tastier. Thank you Chacha, for this fantastic Latin American dish.

Chacha's Chicken Sofrito

INGREDIENTS
1 whole chicken, cut into sections or 6-8 pieces of chicken. I used bone-in legs and thighs.
4 tbsp coconut oil
2 small onions chopped
6-8 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp oregano
salt/pepper to taste
2 tsp tomato paste
2 bell peppers, chopped
4 small tomatoes, chopped with juice and all
2 handfuls cilantro, chopped
2+ tbsp capers
1/2+ cup sliced olives (I used green)
1 lemon, juiced
hot sauce to taste (Chacha recommends Cholula, I had Tapatio on hand)
avocado (optional garnish, but mighty good)


1. In a big pan brown the chicken in oil for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside.
2. In the same pan saute onions and garlic until the onions begin to look translucent.
3. Add oregano, salt/pepper, tomato paste and mix. Turn heat to low, cover pan, and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add peppers, cilantro, diced tomatoes, capers, olives, lemon juice and hot sauce. Stir it up!
5. Add chicken back to the pan with the Sofrito and cook for 30-45 minutes. Chicken should fall off the bone.

I served the dish over rice with fresh avocado. It was REALLY good, tangy and savory. Every bite that Porter took he literally made the "mmm" sound as the spoon touched his lips. If my 19 month old can appreciate this meal, you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment