Oct 30, 2011

Garden: Payoff!

In the post Sea Of Green you got to see the installation of our new Xerilawn from The Turf Company. We have a huge lot of land, none of which has been particularly fun to walk or sit on. It was hardened earth with lots of divots, weeds and poor quality grass. I wanted to have a real lawn because I love walking barefoot outside, sitting on the cushy ground, and most of all I wanted a place to play with Porter outdoors where he didn't have to worry about staying on a blanket. Let me tell you, a crawling baby is not content to sit, or crawl, quietly within the confines of a quilt. I am so happy to be able to tell you that my dream has come true!

Today while Luke was lumber-jacking in the backyard I looked at our new lush green lawn and thought, "Gee, it would be so nice to sit in the sun on the grass." Since we've been babying the newly laid sod it hadn't even crossed my mind that we could now use it, duh. I jumped up, kicked off my shoes and plopped Porter onto the dark soft grass, and the fun began.

At first he didn't know what to do with it, or if he even liked how it felt on his toes. Before too many minutes passed, however, he was crawling from one side of the yard to the other. He found the hose and sprinkler and had a fantastic time in the warm autumn sun. We then had a family picnic on our new lawn, and it was glorious! Not only did we finally get to enjoy the fruits of our gardening labor, but Porter ate a whole meal of the same food that we were eating, bean and cheese burritos. No baby food prep, hurrah! It just goes to show you how much can change in a month. We went from no lawn and purred veggies to a picnic on the grass. Life is grand.






No comments:

Post a Comment